Regardless of the challenges Latino/a immigrants face, we have always found creative ways of earning a living. We as Latinos have made innovation and creativity a way of life. For instance, there are countless examples of innovation and business creation within the Latino/a immigrant community. Nevertheless, many individuals may or may not have a legal status in the country, lack proper information and resources that would enable a more productive, efficient, organized and lawful approach to business creation. A better informed community will be able to access more resources which are vital when achieving significant and positive change. Moreover, we believe that in order to build better communities; immigrants should have a pathway to more economic opportunities. Therefore, Latino/a immigrants with entrepreneurial initiatives must have access to an environment that promotes their business ideas by embracing and encouraging the value in their cultural experiences, creative capabilities, different skill sets and educational backgrounds.
The Latino/a Immigrant Development Entrepreneurial Association is a non profit project that promotes the development of micro enterprises within the Latino/a Immigrant community. The Latino/a IDEA coordinates workshops and informational seminars that bring together entrepreneurs with local business owners and business organizations in order to promote business creation.
The Latino/a Immigrant Development Entrepreneurial Association is responding to the needs of the vast amount of Latino/a immigrants who lack the mechanisms to achieve prosperity. The goal of the program is to disrupt the cycle of poverty within Latino immigrants by providing the tools and guidance that will enable Latino/a entrepreneurs to develop an idea into a well structured plan capable of generating profits. Therefore, the Latino/a IDEA focuses on promoting an organized and systematic approach to micro business development. The methodology and strategies vary depending on the level of experience, capabilities and educational level of the entrepreneurs, but the goal remains the same: provide the tools to empower Latino/a immigrants and expand the opportunities they have for advancement.
The Latino/a IDEA aims to change the vast story of disenfranchisement Latino/a immigrants have experienced by offering a pathway to more economic opportunities via the development of micro enterprises. The Latino/a IDEA’s intention is to foster, cherish and develop entrepreneurial activity in the Latino/a immigrant community which will inevitably lead to progress and economic strength. The Latino/a IDEA functions as a vital link between Latino/a immigrant entrepreneurs and adequate resources such as motivation, coaching and guidance. Therefore, the Immigrant Development Entrepreneurial Association pairs Latino/a entrepreneurs with mentors and coaches through regular events such as workshops, seminars, trainings, and community meetings. Through these events entrepreneurs learn about the responsibilities and benefits of a properly structured business. Mentors come from organizations that promote Latino businesses and from Latino/a business owners who have successfully paved the way for new entrepreneurs.
The Latino/a Immigrant Development Entrepreneurial Association is creating a learning environment with useful information and practical resources for Latino/a Entrepreneurs and aspiring business owners which will lead to a better, more inclusive and prosperous society.
The Latino/a Immigrant Development Entrepreneurial Association is being established to provide access to information and resources to Latino/a immigrant entrepreneurs in the Greater Los Angeles area. To achieve this goal the Latino/a IDEA coordinates workshops and seminars through partnerships with local business groups, business owners and nonprofit organizations. Moreover, the Latino/a Immigrant Development Entrepreneurial Association has set up four distinct programs:
- 1. Inspire: Latino/a entrepreneurs attend seminars hosting successful Latino/a business owners in order to learn from their success and achieve inspiration.
- 2. Construct: Entrepreneurs attend workshops led by professional organizations allowing them to learn the process to structure and develop a business.
- 3. Execute: Entrepreneurs learn how to bring a business plan into reality through mentoring classes and seminars.
- 4. Grow: Existing business owners and successful entrepreneurs will have opportunities to attend seminars and workshops to understand what their options for expansion are.
The mission of the Latino/a Immigrant Development Entrepreneurial Association is the pursuit of the following principles:
- To Inform. The base of the Latino/a Immigrant Development Entrepreneurial Association is to provide tools such as information and resources to Latino/a entrepreneurs in order to bring light to the different options and opportunities that are available to them.
- To Develop. By making information more accessible; entrepreneurs will have the tools to develop their knowledge and ideas, consequently achieving the capability to structure a well thought enterprise.
- To Empower. As information leads to development; consequently, Latino immigrants will gain the power to create and expand economic opportunities for themselves.
- To allow Access: The principle of the Latino/a Immigrant Development Entrepreneurial Association is to provide Latino/a entrepreneurs with practical information in order to promote development via the creation of businesses; consequently, empowering entrepreneurs to ear access to economic strength improving their communities along the way.
Follow us: @latinoidea